Friday 2 November 2007

Wednesday in Dakar

The Blind Couple from Mali - Amadou and Mariam certainly wowed the crowd on Wednesday night. There's no point in me given a long-winded critique of the show. Despite being at the very back, having the last row of seats meant we could actually stand on our chairs and watch le spectacle without getting on any one's nerves. The crowd were really swinging to the Afro-Blues beats coming from the band, and Amadou's electric - or should I say rock - guitar riffs were north meets south, country meets blues, kora meets gospel organ - sensational. I think I really enjoyed the songs in their native Bambara, though the songs in French like Je Pense a toi certainly got the crowd going. My next buy is their Dimanche a Bamako (Sunday in Bamako) CD, an apparently sensational collaboration with Manu Chao!!

No comments: