Sunday 20 July 2008

Gate crashing a graduation party: Come Chop!

So yesterday, Opeyemi convinced me to accompany her and her young male cousin Tobi, to this graduation party in Thamesmead (London's answer to the Bronx, no kidding). It was her cousin's party, and from experience I know that there will always be in high drama in turning up at events that people hadn't invited you to. So I was initially slightly embarassed that we'd arrived too early, and were the first ones to get there, plus we'd all arrived hungry, with watering mouths. But alas someone, the 'graduand's' (very naija word) uncle, dropped the bombshell, of no show, no food. i.e. we had to wait for all the other obviously-naija-guests-who-have-a-habit-of-stylishly-arriving-late-to-everything to even smell the food. Na wa o! Plus the uncle's music was so old-school, that it only made my hunger more pronounced, and not even the small sausages and scotch eggs could pacify. Alternatively I could have drunk myself silly (with diet coke), but that would have defeated the point as I needed space in churning tummy for proper food. Fact was, there was a program to follow, plus opening prayer, and 'keynote' address, before we arrived at number 3 on the list DINNER!! But then, alas, I had to leave for rehearsals, and it didn't seem like we would ever get to the food. Even when we did, Opeyemi, silly girl, was rationning my take away portions, despite hinting that she should put more. I was sooooo upset, now I would have to eat cold food, mini-size, in a bumpy car ride on the way back to Vauxhall, plus the other guests and hosts would think I had only come to the 'graduand's' party to chop. Anyway sha, never again. Gate crashing doesn't always pay, and I am not quite sure how Opo managed to convince me. It's that stupid, baby look and baby voice she puts on when she's trying to be convincing or persuasive. Let's just hope that same look and voice it lands her a good guy.........as on the way to her house earlier on in the day, she kept, saying that I should interceede on her behalf for a decent guy.

No comments: