Saturday 27 October 2007

Dakar 2004, Dakar 2007 Same buzz

It feels soooo go to be back in Dakar, but this time in a lot more comfort and luxury, and this time not going to the loo in a bucket next to the kitchen - I invented that idea when the toilet in our Dakar flat in Liberté II broke down. Now, driving down from Dakar's airport with Djemme the wonderful and cheerful Crisis Group driver, I, somewhat, nostalgically remember my days as a Crisis Group intern in the office in Mermoz! Madame Sonko's wild Senegalese dishes (local dish Thieboudien and her curry dish were my favs) and Candida's calm and collected personna.!

So it's only day two of my research trip to Senegal as CR's West Africa Analyst, but I'm already loving it. No matter how hard you work in this city, no matter how many official meetings you organise, coming to Dakar never feels like work. Senegal is just plain beauty, pure and simple. L'ambiance is second to none in the entire West Africa sub-region, and the African music scene doesn't get much better than this. But I won't spoil it for the reader, will bid my time and describe every single experience as it happens, watch this space. It's saturday, and I'm off to Just4U tonight one of the most exciting hang-out spots in Dakar....more later

No comments: