Sunday 28 October 2007

Orchestra Baobab

Cuban meets Wolof Griot meets Son meets Mandinga musical traditions. It's hard to describe what exactly Orchestra Baobab (OB) is. But hey you don't really need to, 'cause the music and rhythms move you. I had been due to see this eccentric band with colleagues in London at the end of November as part of several attractions at the London Jazz Festival, but let's just say I got lucky in Dakar. They were playing at Just4U, one of the coolest hangout spots in Dakar on Avenue Cheikh Anta Diop. Clearly I had been away from Dakar too long, after a very desperate taxi man convinced me to pay CFA3,000 for the ride from Sofitel Teranga to Just4U, and I was in no mood for haggling. At least I saw OB for free. Well those who know me, know I like music in almost any form it comes, and my one criteria for good music is if I can dance to it. I certainly could to the OB set, but in this case, I preferred to sit back and watch the crowd - average age there was about 35 I suppose - dance the night away. Funny I managed to pay CFA1,500 on the way back to the Teranga (meaning 'hospitality' in Wolof). Truly Made in Dakar.



Made in Dakar, is, by the way, the name of the October 2007 album release by OB on World Circuit Records.

No comments: